Saturday 25 February 2012

Passion for Learning, Learning for Passion...

I have to admit, I was a bit miffed at the time, when I discovered that due to a communication issue, my grade level PLC had missed out on going to ASBUnplugged 2012. 


However, thanks to Twitter, one can at least getting a taste of what's being offered. Over the last few days I have seen a few tweets from the conference. But this morning's tweets have been coming thick and fast, particularly about students' passions, and offering time in the school week to allow students time to follow their passions.


And, as it happens, this is the second time this week that this idea has been mentioned. Kath Murdoch, at her Learning to Learn and our matrix building sessions with us, talked about a growing number of the schools she works with having "I Learn" time once a week to pursue personal passions.


The more I think about this the more I like the idea. I am thinking that I'll start a trial for a few weeks and see how it goes. 


And wouldn't it be great to see if students become so ignited by the learning that they are doing in their 'regular' inquiries, that they will be acquiring new passions as a byproduct to engage them during their "I Learn" time. 


Orchid growing....one of my passions!
It will be interesting and fun to see how it works.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment